Ryan Moylan was out of the lead for only one hole during the 86th Frank Emmet championship, but it was enough to get his attention. A birdie at the 11th got him even and when Alejandro Rodriguez — who had gone ahead at the ninth with last of his four front-nine birdies — bogeyed the 12th to start a downward slide.
At the end, Moylan, from Vero Beach, Fla., here on vacation with his family visiting relatives, shot par-72 for a 54-hole total of 210 (67-71-72), trailed by Rodriguez, who is here from Spain visiting friends, at 214 (72-70-72), and Bach Ngo, a student at Urbana High School, 220 (72-76-72).
Moylan began the last round with a four-stroke lead, but quickly found trouble. He bogeyed three of the first four holes, then birdied the next two to get back on track. As Moylan expressed it, “Those two [birdies] kept me afloat,” and he parred the last three for a front-side 37. Rodriguez included a chip-in and a 25-foot putt among his birdies at Nos. 2, 5, 7 (to tie) and 9 (for 32 and the lead).
After their birdie-bogey exchange at 11-12, they halved the next three holes, but while Moylan would finish with three pars, Rodriguez would slip back with three closing bogeys, including 3-putts at 17-18.
“On that last nine, I had some misses,”Moylan, 17, and a high school senior, said, “but they were in the right spots and helped me get up-and-down for pars at least three times. Overall, I just tried to be steady.”
Rodriguez was here visiting a friend, Esteban Knorr, who lives in Arlington, Va. The two had met at a Junior tournament in France a couple of years ago, and Knorr invited him to come for a visit.
Rounding out the top five were Dylan Allen, DeMatha, 221, and Elliott Haas, Urbana H.S, 222. They were in contention going to the last day, but fell away with 78 and 77, respectively. Last year, Haas totaled 227 for fourth place.
Full field results ⇒ HERE
Past Champions ⇒ HERE
Urbana #2 won the team competition, edging DeMatha, 293 to 294. Scoring was based on a team’s two best scores each of the first two rounds.
1. Urbana #2 — Bach Ngo 72-76; Elliott Haas 73-72; 145-148–293
2. DeMatha — Will Weirich 80-71; Dylan Allen 73-70; 153-141–294
3. Calvert Hall #2 — Austin Steckler 75-74; Michael Crowley 74-74; 149-148–297
4. Walter Johnson — Jaeger Frost 75-77; Jordan Frost 73-77; 148-154–302
5. Langley — Brian Feinstein 75-74; Thomas Dillard 76-78; 151-152–303
6. Georgetown Prep — Trey Cox 79-76; Zachary Maloy 81-71; 160-147–307
7. Potomac School #1 — Ethan Shapiro 80-82; Ryan Huppe 80; Josh Shapiro 80; 160-162–322
8. Urbana #1 — Bennett Elgin 83-88; Jacob Ferrari 78-74; 161-162–323
9. Archbishop Spalding — David Borchard 77-81; Phillip Maneval 86-83; 163-164–327
10 Winston Churchill — Jack Pogorelc 76-82; Eliot Dubick 86-83; 162-165–327
11. Gonzaga — Conor Gallagher 74-83; Tommy Siracuse 93-88; 167-171–338
12. Calvert Hall #1 — Lorenzo Sanz 81-78; Grant Dalrymple 90-88; 177-166–343
13. Potomac School #2 — No Score
14. Thomas Wootton — No Score